
Dalton played his first season of baseball this fall. It was something totally new for him and I was very nervous about it to say the least. He is so passionate and competitive he doesn't handle losing or his own inability very well.
To say the season started poorly was an understatement. He was clueless about the game where to throw the ball and when. This put him very often in left, center, or right field. He was not happy. I gave the coach permission early on to bench him if he complained, whined, or argued over whatever the coach decided. The season for him was a learning one. He was humbled over and over again.
Fast forward to two weeks ago. Dalton finally started to figure out the plays. Seth started encouraging him in a way that Dalton drank in like water on a balmy day and Dalton's team kept winning. Not because of Dalton, but the fact that they were winning was huge for his psyche. They finished the regular season 8-0. That is heady stuff to a 10 year old boy. Thursday night they played a quarterfinal game under the lights. Dalton caught a pop fly to get them out of the inning stranding 3 men on base. To see the other boys crowding him in celebration just made my heart so glad for him. In the 4th inning he hit a triple and brought in 2 runs. His team won 6-4.
Saturday am was the championship game. They got behind by 5 runs in the first inning. Not a good way to start off. I am so thankful we were the home team and got to bat last. They weren't playing their best baseball at all. As I sat in the stands on pins and needles I prayed over and over. "God I want him to win so badly but I want him to learn your lessons more....but I REALLY want him to win!"
In our last at bat, we were down by 1 two outs and bases loaded, one of the boys hit a double and it was all over! My play by play doesn't do it justice but take my word for it, It was a nailbiter!
1 comment:
Congrats, Dalton! Ethan has been a part of those Saturday championship games twice, and both times a win :) It's exciting!!
Donna
Post a Comment